Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Picasso Webinar with Tanya Veit

I have been following Deborah Read's blog http://deborahreadcom.blogspot.com for a long time and am amazed with all the wonderful work she does. And she does it all! She downloaded a Webinar a while back that featured the work of Tanya Veit of AAEGlass.com. I have been wanted to try it, so over the weekend I bought a copy of the webinar through AAE. It's called, "Picasso and Creme Etching Engraving Technique Instruction". The price $59. It has extra project ideas too and am so excited about doing everything! I noticed Tanya will be featuring another Picasso Webinar in December through GlassPatterns.com.

This morning I got out several small pieces of black glass (Bullseye 3mm) and decided to try this project in my little Paragon kiln. The shelf is like 6" x 7" (I'm guessing), but when you are fusing small jewelry pendants, it holds a lot. So onto the black glass you layer and glue dichroic glass pieces with the dichroic side up so they are touching. This is the hardest part. I had odds and ends of all kinds of pieces. And you stay away from patterned and textured dichroic. Then on top you can add (glue) strips and pieces of contrasting colors here and there, again with the dichroic side facing up. Now the reason you glue everything together is that you will fire the pieces upside down on the shelf. That way the dichroic surface will fire flat.

And why do you want the dichroic surface flat? That's the next step. I can't show you until my pieces are fired. Here is a photo of the pieces on the kiln shelf, glued and ready to go. I'm keeping my fingers crossed ... probably won't sleep tonight wondering how they will look in the morning ...


Remember, we have to fire these pieces upside down. Here they are on the shelf ready to be placed in the kiln.


Can't wait to show you the next step!

6 comments:

  1. Cant wait to see your finished product - its very addicting and it gets rid of all the little dichro pieces
    Did you use glue or did you use hairspray to glue them together ? Hairspray is so perfect - way better than glue (a hint from the seminar)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't have any hair spray, but used the super glue I've used for years from Home Depot. Hope they still have it. Four pack, Super Glue by Pacer Technology. Item no. SGH24J. The instructor I had years ago used it. No trace of it after firing and it's quick gluing. I've got orders to pack and ship so haven't started the fun part yet. Thanks for commenting, Deborah!

    ReplyDelete
  3. fyi you can get that super glue ( not the glue kind) at Dollar Tree stores, but Glass Tac by Bulls eye works better, or liquid rave hair spray
    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Also, its best to fire down, and use thin Shelf paper, rather than a coated kiln washed shelf. Better results delivered

    Brenda

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think the best application for this technique is to challenge yourself to create a mini quilt, try using some quilting books. This little jewel you created should be selling for $ 75 USD for a 3in by 3 in size - not $ 29 like I see on Ebay, and ETSY. What a shame!
    Brenda
    (Bmrlarubia at aol.com )

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Brenda. I really appreciate your interest and comments!

    ReplyDelete