Sunday, September 11, 2011

Pizza

Have you ever used the fresh pizza dough from Trader Joe's? I had been thinking about it for a long time and finally bought a package. I've seen recipes using fresh dough to make small pizzas on the BBQ. A friend sent me an email with some good tips.

I opened the package and took out one half of the dough. The directions said to place it on a floured surface and let sit for 20 minutes. In the meantime I had cooked a package of turkey mild Italian sausage. I like the Jennie-O brand. I had also bought TJ's pizza sauce and fresh mozzarella cheese. After the dough had sat for 20 minutes, I rolled out two rounds as thin as possible. Then with a tray of all the ingredients, cooked sausage in a bowl, sliced mozzarella, pizza sauce, olive oil and brush, and the dough rounds, I went outside to the BBQ. I also had a package of grated mixed cheese, oregano and garlic powder. The BBQ had been preheated, cleaned, and turned down to low.

The instructions said to brush olive oil on both sides of the dough rounds. I placed them on the grill and closed the cover. I really can't tell you how long I grilled the first sides, but until they got a light to medium brown. I removed both pieces from the grill and turned them on my cutting board with the grilled side up. Then spread a good coating of pizza sauce over both. Added lots of the sausage (one half), grated cheese, a sprinkling of oregano, garlic powder and finally the slices of mozzarella.

I cooked this until the bottom was brown and the mozzarella cheese had melted. Wow, it was really good. I cooked the other half today for a friend who came to lunch, but did it in the oven so there would be more time to visit inside. It was also very good. It took 20-30 minutes at 375 deg. I certainly would use this dough again. The package makes four individual servings. Or you could roll and spread the dough on a cookie sheet. Use olive oil on the cookie sheet first.

Let me know if you try it .... Or have you ever BBQed pizza before?

No comments:

Post a Comment