Monday, August 15, 2011

REFRIGERATOR PICKLES!

I don't have an abundance of cucumbers this year, thank goodness, but for those of you who do, here's a great recipe I got from my sister years ago.  I make it whenever I see great cucumbers during the year.  I usually use a gallon glass jar, and it keeps for weeks in the refrigerator.  But try half the recipe first and see if you like it.

Refrigerator Pickles
Syrup:
1 quart vinegar (5% acetic acid)
1 quart sugar    (yes, that is correct -- equal parts sugar and vinegar)
1/3 cup Kosher or pickling salt
1-1/2 tsp. each celery seed, mustard seed and turmeric

Mix together until the sugar is dissolved.  Heat is not required.
Thinly slice cucumbers and onion and place in your jar.  Cover with syrup.  Keep refrigerated.

Let me know how you like these pickles.  They are my favorites!!

No comments:

Post a Comment