Thursday, December 15, 2011

COMFORT FOOD - Potato, Cheddar and Ham Casserole

It was a cool rainy afternoon and I needed to cook. That beautiful turquoise blue stained glass box sold this afternoon and I was feeling kind of sad because it was so beautiful and I had to say GOODBYE.  BUT I have enough glass to make one more.  To keep or sell?

I cooked a ham during the week and tonight made real comfort food. And finished that 10# for .99 bag of potatoes from Thanksgiving! I used a bigger dish than I usually do, as this weekend will be busy here, and I'd rather visit than cook when I have company.

It's just a matter of layering potatoes, onions, ham, grated cheese and the soup mix until you fill the baking dish. I added a few spoonfuls of sour cream this time as I didn't want to use all the dogs' milk (yes, they beg for milk after every meal). Chopped green or red pepper also adds a great flavor. The original recipe called for making a white sauce, but why work so hard when you can use cream of chicken soup and a can full of milk. The recipe also called for precooking the potatoes - place the potatoes in saucepan, cover with water. Bring to a boil and immediately remove from heat and drain. That is your option. I bake mine until the potatoes are done, covering with foil toward the end.

Potato, Cheddar and Ham Casserole
6 potatoes, peeled and sliced
2 cups cubed, cooked ham
1 onion, sliced thin
1-1/2 cups grated cheddar cheese
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 soup can full of milk
1 tsp. basil
Salt and pepper
Chopped green or red pepper (optional)

Combine the soup, milk, basil, salt and pepper. Spray your baking dish with Pam and layer half of the potatoes, ham, onion, cheese, soup mix. Repeat, ending with the remaining cheese. I know you will want to grate more! Even add Parmesan!

Bake at 350 deg. for 1-1/2 hours or until the potatoes are soft. Enjoy.
Note: Baking in a covered casserole will cook faster. Uncover at the end to brown.

Here are the Before and After photos. I don't photograph food as well as Pioneer Woman, but you get the idea!



No comments:

Post a Comment