Friday, October 21, 2011

I LOVE POTATOES.

I love potatoes -- however they are fixed. Today I'm cooking a corned beef and am preparing a recipe called Calcannon (also known as Irish Potatoes or "Champ"). I'm a cookbook collector, and this recipe is from a local school cookbook and appears in the Men Only section. Of course, I ventured into that section first years ago. If you Google Calcannon, you'll find many variations, but it's always potatoes and cabbage. I usually make a half of the recipe.

8 medium potatoes
1/2 stick butter
1/2 cabbage, shredded
1 onion or 2 bunches scallions, chopped
1/4 cup milk or cream
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional additions:  chopped ham, cooked bacon

Boil the potatoes until soft. Meanwhile, melt the butter in a skillet and add the shredded cabbage and chopped onion. Cook until they start to brown. Drain and mash the cooked potatoes and then mix in the cabbage/onion mixture. Add the milk, salt and pepper. Place in a covered casserole and keep warm until dinner (or eat out of the pot).

No comments:

Post a Comment