Thursday, July 19, 2012

TOO MANY ZUCCHINI?!!!!!

Yes, this year is one of those years. My neighbor said "no more!" ... she's tired of stuffed zucchini. I think my appetizer recipe is still one of the easiest and best ways to use up a few small ones. You can fill an entire cookie sheet or just make an individual portion.

ZUCCHINI ROUNDS
Spray a cookie sheet with Pam. Slice the zucchini.
Mix equal parts of mayonnaise and freshly grated Parmesan cheese
Add garlic powder.
Spread this mixture on the zucchini slices, place on cookie sheet and broil until brown.

Yesterday I tried a new recipe I'd like to share with you. It's from Skinnytaste.com I made a few changes to the recipe, and it's one I will use over and over.

SAUSAGE STUFFED ZUCCHINI BOATS
1-1/4 cups marinara sauce (I used Emilio's, I love it!)
4 medium zucchini
1 tsp. oil
1 small onion, finely diced
3 clove garlic, crushed (or garlic powder)
1 tsp. dried basil (this is my addition)
1 red bell pepper, diced
14 oz. lean Italian chicken sausage, removed from casing (I used Jennie-O sweet Italian turkey sausage)
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Grated parmesan cheese

Cut zucchini in half lengthwise and scoop out flesh with spoon or melon baller leaving 1/4" thick. Chop the flesh into small pieces and set aside. Drop the zucchini halves into boiling water for 1 minute or steam in microwave in covered dish with a little water 4 minutes.

Place 1/2 cup sauce in bottom of 9 x 12" baking dish and place zucchini halves cut side up. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and garlic powder.

In large saute pan, brown sausage, breaking up pieces, until brown. Set aside. Heat oil and add onion, garlic and bell pepper. Cook 2-3 minutes. Add chopped zucchini, season with basil, salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Combine with sausage and cook a few more minutes.

Divide the mixture into zucchini halves. Top each with 2 tbsp. marinara sauce, mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Cover with foil and bake 35 minutes, 400 degrees. Remove foil and continue baking until lightly brown, 5-10 minutes.



No comments:

Post a Comment